Simon Vaez de Sevilla
This is the third of what I refer to as mini-posts that will focus on facts related to Crypto-Jews/Conversos in the New World.
- Born in Santiago de Compostela in Galicia in 1598.
- Most powerful Crypto-Jewish family in New Spain. The Godfather/Patron of many Crypto Jewish families.
- Commercial activities reached Holland, France, Spain, Venezuela, Peru, the Philippines, and Goa.
- Key Supplier of goods to mining areas.
- His house served as the stopover for Crypto-Jews from Spain and Portugal in the 1620s and 1630s.
- Financier to other Conversos and the Viceroyalty. When he was arrested for Judaizing in 642, he was owed 500,000 pesos.
- In Mexico City until 1650 when he was arrested by the Mexican Inquisition.
Posted by Rabbi Juan Bejarano Gutierrez the director of the B’nei Anusim Center for Education. For a more complete review of Iberian Jewish history and the Crypto- Jewish Experience see The Rise of the Inquisition and Secret Jews: The Complex Identity of Crypto-Jews and Crypto-Judaism